I hope there's not a #2 or #3, etc.
Today Brent took our recycle boxes to our house for the curb pick-up and noticed that the new garage floor was VERY much higher (like a foot!) than the existing garage. Then, after my dental appt, I drove by to see how things looked since I was gone last week. I physically restrained myself from using my cell to call Brent and ask what was wrong with the garage floor figuring I'd be home in 5 minutes and could speak directly with him. Mind you, I don't want to be labled as an over-reactor. So I casually come in with the groceries and Brent jumps right into, "Are you ready for this?" in that special, something is really wrong tone. After a few minutes of banter about the conversation that took place with the builder, we decided it was good to keep an active eye on things. Yadda, yadda, yadda on why it was going to be wrong - it was going to be wrong and that would have been BAD. So we asked for an impromptu meeting and within an hour had a solution that only involved moving every wall in the back hall/bath/mudroom. We're satisfied with the changes as long as they don't turn out to look ridiculous when we begin to frame (next week!!!).
Now, we've already had another foundation issue, but it didn't really seem to have an impact on the overall asthetics. The new basement (which is and will remain unfinished) is 10 feet - that's how our builder likes it and we don't care, but the new stairs from outside to the new basement are only 8 feet. You can do the quick math and figure out that doesn't quite equal... solution was to pour steps inside the basement. Not attractive, but again, we felt not a huge deal. So hopefully since the foundation is done, there won't be any more major issues.
Also funny today:
While Brent was at the house the electric guy approached him asking if he was the homeowner. When Brent answered yes, he chuckeled. Never a good sign. Apparently the guy had asked the people who live behind us if he could drive his truck into their driveway in order to make our necessary electrically changes (that's 100 amps to 400 amps for those of you who are curious). Then the guy says to Brent that he can't repeat what the lady said to him, but his paraphrase was 'no, he could not drive his truck into their driveway to provide electrical services for us with a vulgar gesture to boot.' So Brent left with about 4 guys from the electrical company scratching their heads on how to get to that pole...
Now, back to a previous post about how we love our neighbors... I would be referring to the neighbors that we actually know, not these lovely people whom we've never met. Hopefully a nice young couple with kids will buy their house when they kick.
Never a dull moment!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Just by labeling it #1 means you think there will be more. And I would have to agree with you. I have never heard of any sort of construction that went without hitches...kind of like weddings! But, like weddings, they turn out fine in the end...usually...I hope...let's pray... :). I'll talk to you soon about plans for NEXT WEEK!!!! Theresa
Post a Comment