Saturday, April 12, 2008

spring break

Hiddy Ho! I've been on spring break with the kiddos, so I only know what Brent has told me this past week. We've been backfilled!! (must go take pictures.) Brent also received a copy of our electrical layout for us to double check and mull over. And, we're really hoping the geothermal hvac system will work for us. Our builder pokes fun that it's a nice shade of GREEN - meaning enviornmentally friendly. Here's an interesting aside -- I'm not all granola, like, I don't have hairy armpits and wear Birkenstocks all year, but I do want to do my part to be friendly to the earth that sustains me and my family, so we recycle, etc. I've wanted to add some nice 'green' items to our project and so have been doing a tiny bit of reasearch. Well, some granola-guy ticked me off via a website. Basically he'd written that anyone not living in a 1950's 1500sf house retrofitted for everything green is using too much energy. I can't even contain myself enough to write what he said about big houses - hello! we're a family of 6! anyway. Brent tried to keep it real by pointing out that we are making our home more energy efficient with this addition and renovation. His point was well taken because I noticed that the energy bill for the rental is the same as the bill for our house that is about 2-3 times smaller than the rental. I digress...
Not much info on progress on-site, but we are busily making selections for all manner of items to keep the ball rolling once the weather allows for framing.

No comments: