Monday, December 8, 2008

catastrophe # what avoided

Are we at catastrophe #3 avoided, or is it higher than that? It feels much higher than that. Anyway, it sure pays to be at the house at least once a day. We get next to zero notification of meetings that occur at our house about our project unless we just happen upon them. Today was a fine example. After another meeting and picking up the kids we were discussing that concrete is Finally being done -- 6 months after our first, "pick what you want" meeting. I just mentioned that Carl probably needed an email or phone call about the side steps because he repeatedly let it be known that my idea of placement of said steps was not what he liked. So, we decided to swing by the house because Brent said they were pouring the footers for the steps today. We got there in the nick of time. Of course the forms for the footers for the steps were not dug as specified from a meeting discussing our plans 10 months ago. When Brent walked up they were getting ready to pour the cement. And to boot, Carl had ordered round columns for the porch instead of the square ones specified in an email on Sept 8. Since I have kept every correspondence regarding this project, I just sent that email to Carl with the date highlighted. It read, and I'm paraphrasing, I know the front porch columns are round and the back ones are square, but what about the side. My reply, which was in blue that day, was, "square. Carl and Brent discussed a half column attached to the brick on the sides to hide the mismatch of the soldier course." Apparently, asking and receiving an answer still doesn't mean anything -- it's going to be done the way the builder wants it. He is taking care of the change -- without any admission of a mistake being (or nearly being) made.

A separate catastrophe was not avoided and this one is all on me. I signed off for approval on the cabinetry without noticing that one corner of the butler's pantry is clipped. I understand why, I just don't like that it wasn't mentioned and I'm even angrier that I missed it. Hence part of the meeting earlier today - trying to work out a "fix" with the granite top.

So, it's time for more pictures, but luckily there have been too many workers at the house to get any shots. Maybe tomorrow - if the lighting is just right (haha, that's a jab to hubby's perfectionism)

I'm smiling a little as I type tonight. I'm realizing that everyone that comes to visit will have had the information on each and every detail that went awry and may be able to pick out the flaws in our house. Maybe we could turn it into an "I spy" or "where's wally" type game!

No comments: