Saturday, January 24, 2009

THE WEEKEND LIST

As I began thinking about this post, I was reminded of my very own comments on friend, Madmonkmcelroys blog. She shared a weekend fixer-upper type chore list a little while back and when only a few items from her list were actually complete at the end of the weekend, I explained that her list had been too much - as commonly happens when you get a husband/wife team geared up for weekend projects.
Well, Brent's working the short weekend, so I've tried to keep our list manageable and I've also called in paid help (cause you can't get this kind of help for free twice-haha). The list is looking something like this (colored-coded for hers and his):
*set up computer - which first entails deciding on the room layout
*clean the room
(known from previous posts as the library -- and no, many books won't fit in it bc of all the windows, but library sounds fancier than office- which just sounds like it going to be a messy room and who wants to think about such a messy room with all those windows for people to see the mess-- I digress.)
*clean the new closets, organize and put all clothes in them
*work on some laundry so those clothes can also go into the new closets
*hang some light fixtures (no sure which ones bc there are quite a few to go up-- but there are even more that need to go up that haven't even been purchased yet)
*begin unloading boxes from the attic in hopes of them thawing
*vacuum family room
(this of course isn't just your typical vacuum job - it involves moving mounds of things from "catch all" spots in that room and also several boxes all while trying to not disturb the children who are so wonderfully glued to the tv)
*move cabinet from basement to upstairs (that's 2 floors and requires help)
*revacuum and redust DR, LR, Kitchen, 3 halls, 2 sets of stairs, 4 bedrooms, the playroom and another hall
-- apparently the dust will continue to settle for many weeks...
*clean cabinets, organize and put away master bathroom items -- most of which are in the attic
*scrub 3 bathtubs AGAIN (hoping third times a charm -- 3 magic erasers 3 times should do it)
*work on something that doesn't make a big difference during this weekend, but that requires multiple trips to the hardware store (dw panels come to mind)
*complete installation of kitchen cabinet hardware

*clean all built-ins

it looks managable, doesn't it, but hardly anything will be completely finished. : ) I guess the first thing to do is get off the comp and get started...

2 comments:

TMA said...

NO, it does NOT look manageable in one weekend. Good luck with all that. Especially the dust settling...my house is 73 year sold and the construction dust must STILL be settling!! And thanks for the nod on the library name. Can't wait to hear what gets done.

Holly said...

I think that I could probably do one of those items. Just one, that's it.
Probably getting off the computer would be a good place to start for me also.